Thursday, October 18, 2007

A different sky


20 something years ago and a latitude or two north, a few longtitudes east, my brother Bob and I looked up at a perfect night sky and wondered at the boundless milky way and the billions upon billions of stars shining down on us standing on a beach in St Andrews.

Last night we stood under that same sky with that same ageless light shining, pulsing and - yes - twinkling down.

It it came to me with absolute clarity - a veritable alcoholics moment of lucidity that, although 20 yrs had passed and we had each seen the other passed, failed, passed again and qualified, registered, married (with children), saved lives and lost them, experienced triumph and loss and all manner of pain and joy I realized - but for these a few latitudes and the odd longtitude - it was the same sky - and I was so thankful.

God bless,

Iain

No comments: